Have you ever heard a piece of advice on love that just feels right to you? Lois Smith Brady is a veteran wedding journalist. Over the years, she’s heard love stories and relationship insights that revolve around clichés, but sometimes the perspectives she hears are so interesting and unique, that she commits them to memory. Here are some of her top favorite comments on love that she’s heard over the years, and we think they’re just really good to remember as you’re looking for love with Mutual!
- “…the person we marry is a stranger about whom we have a magnificent hunch.” It’s true, you’re not going to know EVERYTHING about the person you end up marrying, but you have to trust your instincts (and especially the Spirit) as you get to know them better and see if you develop a “hunch” that you could have a happy, lasting love with them.
- “I’ve always felt like a fish out of water, and when I met [my husband] it was like he was the same fish.” Dr. Seuss put this same thought another way when he said, “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with outs, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” The bottom line in love is you need to find someone who just gets you – who looks at life and experiences and can appreciate them the same way that you do.
- “When someone asks you to marry them, you shouldn’t have to make a list of pros and cons. You just know. You jump into their arms and say, ‘Yeah!’” Deciding to fall in love and get married to someone should be the easiest decision you ever make. Not to say that it isn’t stressful and worrisome at times, but your desire and decision to be with them and love and care for them should always be obvious to you.
- Don’t have a list of really specific things your future spouse NEEDS to have. Sometimes little occurrences will happen that just speak to your soul to let you know that they are the right person for you. According to Brady, we need to “throw out the list”, and let the person you are dating reveal their unique set of traits to you…you may be surprised what you end up being really attracted to!
- “Love is like a good conversation that lasts.” I’m not saying you need to talk all the time or want to be around someone every waking minute to know that you’re in love, but your interactions with that person need to be fulfilling and meaningful to you. Yes, even when you’re talking about the boring stuff…taxes (cough cough!) there needs to be a level of trust and understanding between the two of you so that your life together can be healthy and enjoyable.
We want to wish you the best of luck in finding your forever love, on Mutual!